Sunday, December 29, 2013

November & December

I haven't had a moment to myself to update in a while so I am just going to combine months.
Christmas has come and gone and I think that is what took up most of my time. Any time I had when the boys were sleeping was used up baking or wrapping or shopping online. The year is almost over and it already looks like next year will be just as busy.
Jacob is sleeping a little better at night. Some nights he will sleep from 9 pm to 5 am and some nights he wakes up at 3 am but it is still better than what it used to be. He is spending more time awake during the day. I have to be honest when I say that I hate the age that he is at now. He wants to be more independent but isn't quite there yet. He hates tummy time. I don't know if it is because his tummy is always bothering him or if he just doesn't like it but he rolls over right away. He still spits up almost every time he eats. We go to the doctor in a couple of weeks and that is one thing I will address. He is a good baby, for the most part, and I'm trying to enjoy every second.
Matthew had a wonderful Christmas and is so spoiled! He is just so thrilled to get a present, unless it is clothes, but he is still young. He received books, games, trains, cars...and he loves it all. He sits down next to me and I read while he turns the pages and sometimes he tries to repeat the word! They are easy reading books so there are not a lot of words on the pages and I go slow. Maybe this will help him with his speech. I don't know if it was mentioned but we have a new speech pathologist. The first one just didn't click with Matthew or myself and it turned into an hour a week of fighting. She wouldn't let him play unless he tried to say a word and he would throw a tantrum. Not Matthew's finest behavior but I was also hovering over the session so maybe he thought I would step in. The new lady has a much more playful and gentle approach. She still has him say words but it is play based and not entirely forced. I have taken a step back and some days I am not even in the room with them. I think that has helped tremendously and I think he is improving. We had a transition meeting for preschool eligibility and while that is so exciting, it is a little sad. I have spent his whole life with him but I know this will be good for him...for us. He will probably qualify for a preschool program for children who are "at risk" and have similar problems. They combine age groups so the ages are 3-5 years and he could start right after he turns 3. We have an evaluation in February and another meeting in March to discuss if this would be the right program for him. It would be five days a week, almost 3 hours a day and from what I have heard, completely free. I am excited for him to be in a classroom setting and with other kids. I think he will benefit from this.
This next year will bring new challenges and new adventures and I cannot wait! It will go by fast!













2 months old


3 months old