Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Matthew Herbert Nelson is here!

It's been a long time again since I've updated this, our little boy is already one week old!
Tuesday the 22nd was just like any other day. I woke up and went to work and continued to do everything to try and get labor going...I wasn't very comfortable. I took April to the vet at 1:30, brought her home and left for our weekly doctor's appointment which was at 3:30. Robert and I were told by our doctor that she doesn't think I will be able to deliver our baby due to a small pelvic bone. I was dialated a little so we were going to schedule an induction to get him out sooner so that he didn't get any bigger. We had an ultrasound and she said he was almost 7 pounds. That shocked me since I was expecting a bigger baby. (The last couple of weeks I was craving pizza, burgers and everything was dipped in ranch dressing) They always ask if I am feeling him move and I said what I always say...sometimes. They hooked me up to a monitor to watch my contractions and his heart rate. At one point, his heart rate dropped which is normal but it is supposed to go back up and never really did quite as much as they wanted. By this time, our doctor's office was going to close and they were still working on getting a date to induce me. The doctor wasn't comfortable sending me home so we were sent to labor and delivery to continue to monitor him. While we were being monitored, the nurse asked all of the questions we will be asked if we were to be in labor so that they are in the system already and I don't have to answer questions while having contractions. (Some of these questions made us laugh, like asking if Robert is my husband and then a couple questions later asking if he is the father) During all of this, his heart rate dropped again. The nurse went and called our doctor to see what she wanted us to do. The nurse came back and said they were planning a C section in 30 minutes. I started bawling hysterically. I did not want it to be like this. Robert went and called our parents while I started signing all of the forms. We put on my gown and Robert's scrubs and off we went. A half an hour later, we had a baby boy. I didn't really get to see him until about an hour later, but he had a lot of time with his daddy. All of this happened in a matter of minutes and it was a lot to handle, but completely worth it. Our family is so perfect, Robert is a wonderful dad and I am so lucky to be his wife.
I know this was long and I left out a lot! We are also blessed to have families like ours that are supportive and helpful! We appreciate them more than they know!!
I'll have to post pictures later, I'm a little short on time now. :)